FRI 12 MAY 2017, 19:00,


SuperSport United fight back to hold Horoya

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Fri May 12, 21:51

South African side SuperSport United drew 2-2 with Guinean club Horoya AC in a CAF Confederation Cup Group D match at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Friday night.

The home side nearly took the lead just eight minutes into the match when Aubrey Modiba played a good free-kick into the Horoya box, but Germain Berthe came out to punch the ball away.

Nicknamed HAC, Horoya looked dangerous every time they pushed forward in search of the opening goal, on a chilly Friday night in the capital city of South Africa, Pretoria.

The visitors did break the deadlock through Jean Dipita Ebele. The Cameroonian striker beat SuperSport shot-stopper Boafela Pule to make it 1-0 to Horoya in the 33rd minute.

However, the lead only lasted for five minutes as SuperSport, who are affectionately called Matsatsantsa by their passionate supporters, were awarded a free-kick in a promising area.

Keegan Ritchie then stepped up and hit the back of the net with a well-taken set-piece to make it 1-1 for SuperSport with Horoya's goal-minder Berthe well beaten seven minutes before half-time.

The score was 1-1 during the half-time between SuperSport and Horoya following an action-packed first-half in the opening match of Group D.

It took only six minutes for HAC to restore their lead in the second-half as the Matsatsantsa defence was caught napping and Seyei Baffour beat Pule to make it 2-1 to Horoya.

Matsatsantsa tried to press HAC as they looked to level matters, but the visitors' defence looked solid. SuperSport coach Stuart Baxter then introduced Jeremy Brockie in the 73rd minute.

The New Zealand international is the current Confederation Cup top goalscorer. Brockie hit the back of the hit five times in the qualifying rounds to help his side reach the group stage.

However, it was his teammate Thuso Phala, who levelled matters for the home side in the 82nd minute. The speedy winger scored with a decent finish to make it 2-2.

SuperSport pushed for the winning goal in the closing stages of the encounter, but Horoya held on for a valuable away point as the match ended in a 2-2 stalemate on the night.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment