TUE 23 MAY 2017, 17:00


SuperSport defeat Mounana in eight-goal thriller

by Graeme Jackson

Tue May 23, 18:59

SuperSport United have risen to the top of Group D in the CAF Confederation Cup after defeating CF Mounana 5-3 at the Stade de l’Amitie in Libreville on Tuesday afternoon.

Matsatsantsa move to four points from two matches and are top of the pool (though TP Mazembe could reclaim first place if they win against Horoya in Conakry tomorrow), while the Gabonese side remain bottom after successive losses.

SuperSport got off to a perfect start, with Grant Kekana scoring in the fifth minute to put them into the lead. The defender fired the ball past the goalkeeper from close range following a corner kick.

Mounana hit back to make it 1-1 in the 27th minute, with striker Abdou Atchabao catching the defence napping when he got between the centre-backs and goalkeeper Reyaad Pieterse to stab home a low cross.

United reclaimed the lead in the 34th minute when Thabo Mnyamane found the back of the net. The attacker was initially denied by the goalkeeper, but managed to steer home the rebound to make it 2-1 to the South Africans.

Seven minutes later Mnyamane completed his brace, firing home a left-footed shot from just inside the penalty area to make it 3-1 and put SuperSport in complete control.

Mounana had a chance to get back into the game early in the second half when they were awarded a debatable penalty for hand-ball by Clayton Daniels. However, Ameka Autchanga’s effort from the spot was brilliantly saved by Pieterse.

The United ‘keeper made another superb stop less than 10 minutes later when he flung himself to his left to punch away a goal-bound effort from the dangerous Cedric Ondo Biyoghe.

Matsatsantsa put the game to bed with a fourth goal in the 64th minute - Fagrie Lakay produced a superb piece of play to tee up substitute Jeremy Brockie for a tap-in to make it 4-1.

The hosts pulled a goal back with just over 10 minutes to play, with Hamidou Sinayoko scoring at the second attempt after seeing his initial penalty saved by the excellent Pieterse.

Each side managed a goal in injury time at the end of the game, with Mounana making it 4-3 when Autchanga fired home into the roof of the net, but Brockie netted again seconds later to make it 5-3 and complete an eight-goal thriller.

The teams will next be in Confederation Cup action in the first weekend of June, with United set to face TP Mazembe away, while Mounana will host Horoya.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment