Court blocks Uganda Premier League kick-off

Court blocks Uganda Premier League kick-off
Uganda FA President Moses Magogo

by Andrew Oryada

Saturday Aug 30, 2014. 21:19

The 2014/2015 Uganda Premier League will not kick-off on September 2 after the High Court issued an injunction following a complaint by Maroons FC.

“We are happy that Court issued an injunction on Friday and this matter must be heard as to why we are not part of the League yet we were never relegated,” Maroons FC Chairman Tommy Ochen told AfricanFootball.com.

Maroons FC’s lawyer John Isabirye obtained an injunction on Friday from the High Court in the absence of the FA officials. The club complained that they had unfairly been excluded from taking part and yet they have never been relegated to a lower league.

The injunction, issued by the Deputy Registrar of the court Charles Emuria, will stay in place until the issues raised by Maroons FC are heard and determined. The hearing of the main suit of Maroons has been fixed for September 2.

Maroons FC's petition against Fufa and its officials was as a result of alleged breach of the contract it had with them to play in the top flight football but the team was instead excluded from the new fixtures under unclear circumstances.

Further in its complaint, the club states that in the football season of 2012/13, two parallel football leagues, Uganda Super League and the FUFA Super League, were created and that a deed of adherence was signed by it to play in the Uganda Super League and indicating how clubs would be relegated to the lower league.

It further complains that to its shock, FUFA and group started engaging in talks to merge the two parallel leagues by forming the Uganda Premier League which had been scheduled to start on Tuesday but they had been excluded.

The 2012/13 champions to that effect, on August 13 this year, wrote to FUFA demanding to know why they had been excluded from the new season without any lawful excuse given the fact that they were missing from the match fixtures.

But in its response dated August 25, the FA’s Chief Executive Officer, Edgar Watson stated that Maroons FC was not eligible to play in the Uganda Premier League as it was not among the clubs that stayed in the top tier or those promoted from FUFA big league in the season of 2013/14.

Watson instead advised Maroons to start afresh by registering to participate in the Big League, which is a much lower league compared to the Uganda Premier League.

When contacted the FA President Moses Magogo told AfricanFootball.com that the injunction by Court is not a serious challenge. “We shall go to Court and prove our case well enough,” he added.

 

 

 

 




COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment