Thursday Oct 30, 2014. 13:40
The Council for East and Central African Football Associations (Cecafa) has confirmed that Ethiopia has pulled out of hosting the 2014 Senior Challenge Cup.
Rogers Mulindwa, the Cecafa Media Officer told AfricanFootball.com on Thursday that Ethiopia will not host the regional event. “We have finally got information from the Ethiopia FA that they will not host the event. It is sad that they have communicated late, but we are looking at either Sudan or Tanzania to take over hosting,” added Mulindwa.
The official said they are in a crucial period as they try to get another host. “We however call upon all teams in the region to prepare because this tournament must take place between November 24 to December 10,” explained Mulindwa.
Kenya are the defending champions of the event after stopping Sudan last year when they hosted. Uganda who have won the regional event a record 13 times will be eager to reclaim the trophy. Last year they lost to Taifa Stars of Tanzania at the quarter final stage.
Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic, the Cranes Head Coach said he will only start preparing the team after the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifiers. Uganda who are third in Group E of the qualifiers will next face Ghana and Guinea to decide if they qualify for the Afcon after their last appearance in 1978.
The other nations expected to participate in the Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup include: Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Eritrea.