Massa (R) and Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor before the game in Lome on Wednesday.
Friday Jul 31, 2015. 13:00
Uganda’s leading striker and skipper Geoffrey Massa has warned Togo before the the two nations clash in the second round of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in November.
The two nations were drawn to face-off last Saturday when the draws were made in Russia. Massa told Africanfootball.com on Friday that the West African team should have all cause to worry this time round as Uganda will not be push overs.
“They beat us twice last year in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier. But we are more mature and have a balanced team this time ready to stop them,” added the striker who joined South African Premier League side Bloemfontein Celtic.
Massa who was the Cranes leading scorer with four goals in the 2015 Afcon qualifiers said they will have to double their efforts to stop Togo both on home and away basis. “It will be pay back time. They were lucky and spoiled our mission last year, but we should work hard and revenge,” added the striker.
He added that playing a team like Togo led by striker Emmanuel Adebayor is not an easy task, but added that a lot will be done to win and qualify for the group stage.
But before the second round kicks off the other teams from the Council for East and Central African Football Associations (Cecafa) region like Somalia, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Burundi, Kenya and Tanzania will all be in action in the first round in October this year.
After the second round all the 20 winners will be drawn in five groups of four to play in the qualifiers which will run till 2017. The group winners will qualify for the 2018 World Cup.