Victor Osimhen (middle) displaying the U23 AFCON trophy
Saturday Jun 25, 2016. 20:27
Nigeria U20 striker Victor Osimhen has maintained he habours no hard feelings after he failed to make the country’s provisional list for the Olympics.
READ: Nigeria Olympic team fly out in batches
Osimhen, 17, was part of the team when they qualified for the Olympics, courtesy of their win at the Africa U23 Cup of Nations in Senegal last year, but has not made the provisional list of 35 for the Games, but he said he is not disappointed.
“I am not disappointed not to have made the provisional list of 35,” Osimhen told AfricanFootball.com
“The coach knows what he wants for the team and I am okay with the decision and I wish the team a successful outing at the Olympic Games.”
Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia released a provisional list of 35 players ahead of the Olympics on Friday, but the Wolfsburg-bound striker’s name was conspicuously missing, as initially reported by AfricanFootball.com
Meanwhile, Osimhen scored a goal as the Nigeria U20’s defeated their U23 counterparts 4-3 in a tune-up game in Abuja on Saturday, with the striker proving a handful for the Dream Team VI defence.
By Chris Oguguo