Dynamos juniors coach Murape Murape attacked by hooligans

Dynamos juniors coach Murape Murape attacked by hooligans

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Wednesday Apr 19, 2017. 13:30

According to news reports from Zimbabwe, Dynamos juniors coach Murape Murape had to run for life on Sunday after he was attacked by hooligans.

The coach and his family was ambushed after the Independence Cup semi-final match between DeMbare and CAPS United at the National Sports Stadium.

Reports indicate that the ex-DeMbare skipper revealed he was attacked by three men wearing CAPS United regalia and had to take to run after a mob wearing the same green-and-white colours also joined in.

Following the incident, Murape said he lost valuables, cash, a cellphone and that the culprits who started the skirmish got into their car and drove away from the scene after he had sought police assistance.


"I don't want to say much at the moment because police are handling the matter," said Murape.

"These guys just attacked me unprovoked. The first time I heard them talking to me I thought they were genuine football people who wanted to start a conversation with me and naturally I accommodated them since I am someone who is known by many people.

“And when they started shouting at me accusing me of being a Dynamos n'anga and assaulting their coach Lloyd Chitembwe I thought they were just joking.

“But before I knew it they started assaulting me and a nearby mob comprising mostly supporters in the CAPS United regalia joined in.

"My wife then threw herself in the middle to try and shield me from getting a further battering and they beat her up as well. But then that's when I got the chance to run away and seek refuge with the police.

"I am still to understand the motive of the attack but it seems these people had long targeted me. These thugs should be brought to book to avoid such retrogressive incidents at our stadia.

"It's barbaric. The bottom line is that we should all understand that football is not war. Football is a game that we all have to enjoy without hurting one another.”

The matter was reported at Mabelreign Police Station and investigations are underway.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment