Chiefs, SuperSport renew their Nedbank Cup rivalry

Chiefs, SuperSport renew their Nedbank Cup rivalry
Bradley Grobler of Supersport United challenged by Lorenzo Gordinho of Kaizer Chiefs during the Absa Premiership match between Kaizer Chiefs and Supersport United at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on the 23 November 2016©Samuel Shivambu/Backpagepix

by Graeme Jackson

Friday Apr 21, 2017. 11:30

Kaizer Chiefs and SuperSport United will renew their rivalry in the Nedbank Cup when they meet in the quarterfinals on 22 April 2017. The match is scheduled for the FNB Stadium, kick-off at 18h00.

Chiefs earned their spot in the last eight of the Nedbank Cup thanks to victories over lower league sides Stellenbosch FC (3-0 away) and Acornbush United (2-1 away). This is the first time the Soweto side has reached the quarterfinals of the competition since 2014.

The Amakhosi are the most successful team in Nedbank Cup history, with 13 titles (the most recent of which arrived in 2013).

SuperSport, meanwhile, have also overcome successive lower league opponents - Royal Eagles 2-1 away and KwaDukuza United 2-0 away - to qualify for this stage of the Nedbank Cup. Matsatsantsa are the defending champions and will be looking to add to their four titles in the competition: 1999, 2005, 2012 and 2016.

Chiefs and United have been regular combatants in cup competitions down the years, meeting in 12 such matches since 1990 when the latter was still known as Pretoria City. The Amakhosi have claimed eight wins (including the last seven successive meetings) compared to four for Matsatsantsa.

The teams’ most recent cup clash was in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Nedbank Cup, with Chiefs emerging 2-0 winners thanks to two late goals from George Lebese.

In all, the teams have clashed in 64 matches across all competitions. The Soweto side has claimed 27 wins compared to 23 for United, with 14 draws thrown in. Their most recent meeting was a league match in November 2016 which ended 1-1: Thabo Mnyamane opened the scoring for Matsatsantsa, but they were quickly pegged back by George Lebese’s equaliser.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment