Bidvest Wits book MTN8 Cup semi-final spot

Bidvest Wits book MTN8 Cup semi-final spot
Thulani Hlatshwayo of Bidvest Wits celebrates a goal during the MTN8 match between Bidvest Wits and Orlando Pirates on 27 August 2016 at Bidvest Stadium

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Friday Aug 11, 2017. 23:15

Bidvest Wits overcame Golden Arrows 4-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw in the 2017 MTN8 Cup quarter-final match at the Bidvest Stadium in on Friday night.

The win sees the defending champions Clever Boys progress into the semi-finals, while Abafana Bes'thende have been eliminated from the competition.

Abafana Bes'thende took a surprise lead just 11 minutes into the game as Lerato Lamola headed home Siphelele Magubane's cross to make it 1-0 to Arrows.

The Clever Boys were then reduced to 10 men when debutant Slavko Damjanovic was showed a straight red card for a dangerous tackle in the 20th minute.

It was soon 2-0 to Arrows as Wayde Jooste set-up Mahachi, who made no mistake as he beat Wits goalkeeper Moeneeb Josephs in the 24th minute.

But James Keene managed to pull one back when he converted from the spot-kick two minutes later after Wits were awarded a penalty.

Arrows were also reduced to 10 men after Danny Phiri received his second yellow card just the before the half-time break. The score was 2-1 to Arrows at the interval.

The Clever Boys dominated the second-half and they managed to restore parity a minute after the hour-mark with the Abafana Bes'thende defence exposed.

A cross from Reeve Frosler found his teammate Keene, who then hit the back of the net from close range making it 2-2 - grabbing his brace in the process.

Second-half substitute Frank Gabadinho Mhango almost scored with his first touch in the 76th minute, but his header was blocked in the line.

Abafana Bes'thende stood firm in the dying minutes of the match and the encounter ended in a 2-2 draw in regulation time, and extra-time followed.

Arrows nearly grabbed a goal in extra-time when Nduduzo Sibiya unleashed a powerful low shot from range and Josephs brilliantly parried the ball away - keeping his side in the game.

The visitors then lost another man after Arrows defender Siyabonga Dube was given a straight red card. But nine-men Arrows contained Wits and ultimately, the match went into a penalty shootout.

However, Wits converted four penalties, while Arrows missed three and the former emerged 4-3 winners on penalties.

Wits (2) 2 (Keene 26', 61')
Arrows (1) 2 (Lamola 11', Mahachi 24')

Wits: Josephs, Frosler, Hlanti, Hlatshwayo, Damjanovic, Scott (Khumalo 22'), Monare, Claasen (Pienaar 84'), Pule (Mhango 75'), Pelembe, Keene.

Arrows: Gumede, Dube, Nonyane, Mzava, Mngwengwe, Phiri, Cele, Mahachi, Magubane (Sibiya 22'), Jooste (Bilankulu 46'), Lamola (Mutizwa 95').

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment