South Africa not hosting CHAN 2018 says SAFA

South Africa not hosting CHAN 2018 says SAFA
Safa president Danny Jordaan

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Thursday Sep 28, 2017. 11:30

Despite talks that South Africa could be the hosts of the 2018 CAF African Nations Championship tournament, South African Football Association president Danny Jordaan has a different view.

Kenya was set to stage the tournament to be played by local-based players next year, but CAF has since decided to re-open the bidding process.

CAF cited the country's lack of readiness to host leaving countries such as Ghana, Morocco and South Africa touted as possible alternatives.

Following a visit by a CAF inspection team to Kenya earlier this month, it was found that only one of the four venues was ready for the 16-team tournament.

GUY ROUX: I WISH RACHID GHEZZAL PLAYED FOR FRANCE!

However, the SAFA boss has cooled down the talk, saying the availability of players will be a stumbling block for Bafana Bafana.

Bafana coach Stuart Baxter struggled to assemble a strong team during the qualifiers after South African Premier Soccer League clubs were reluctant to release the players.

“The problem for us is the release of players‚” said Jordaan to the TimesLive website.

“It would be a fight to get a decent team and would offer few positive outcomes.”



COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment