Bitter? Duarte says Senegal has everything to lose against SA

Bitter? Duarte says Senegal has everything to lose against SA
Paulo Duarte

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Tuesday Nov 07, 2017. 11:00

Burkina Faso head coach Paulo Duarte is still unhappy with FIFA's decision to order a replay between Senegal and South Africa.

Before FIFA ordered a replay of the original South Africa versus Senegal match last September, Burkina Faso were in control of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying group.

A replay was ordered after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) had upheld the lifetime ban of Ghanaian match referee Joseph Lamptey, who was in charge during South Africa's 2-1 win over Senegal in Polokwane last year.

Senegal have since replaced Burkina Faso at the top of Group D standings and they will take on fourth-placed South Africa in their last two matches in the next few days.

"Even if we still have to keep hope," Duarte was quoted on Press Afrik as saying,

"Burkina Faso no longer has its destiny in hand, because of the situation created by FIFA in favor of Senegal.

Second-placed Burkina Faso and third-placed Cape Verde are scheduled to lock horns in their last Group D match which will be played in Ouagadougou on Tuesday, 14 November 2017.

"We have nothing to lose because FIFA has taken everything away," he added.

"Where Senegal has everything to lose, because South Africa can qualify with two victories."

Burkina Faso can only qualify for the World Cup if they beat Cape Verde and the results between South Africa, and Senegal go their way.



COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment