Tuesday Jan 16, 2018. 14:30
FIFA has released a statement regarding the ban on Ghanaian referee Joseph Lamptey following his reckless officiating in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier between Senegal and South Africa in 2016.
The world football governing body says Lamptey took decisions in an aim to facilitate a minimum number of goals to succeed certain bets.
Despite ordering the game to be replayed last year in November, FIFA banned the Ghanaian referee for life for his actions in the 2016 qualifier which the Lions of Teranga lost 2-1.
The encounter was staged in Polokwane and featured a contentious penalty converted by the home side after 43 minutes when a Senegalese defender was adjudged to have handled the ball, despite replays showing it hit Kalidou Koulibaly's knee.
FIFA also ruled that Lamptey was responsible for Bafana Bafana’s second goal just two minutes later, stating that the Ghanaian clearly took two wrong decisions which led to two goals being scored by South Africa.
"He took intentional decisions with the sole purpose of facilitating a minimum number of goals to make certain bets successful," FIFA said.
"Suspicious betting activities reached their climax precisely when Lamptey took the incorrect refereeing decision between the 40th minute and the end of the first half.
"All five betting operators deemed the betting activities witnessed during the match to be highly irregular and indicative of match manipulation."
Although the organisation remained mum on the details of the case, they recently decided to reveal their stance on the matter because of its complex nature and various misconceptions.
Furthermore, FIFA said it was alerted to possible match manipulation by five different betting monitoring companies who independently and simultaneously reported that irregular betting activities had taken place.
Lamptey has since appealed against his ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport which ruled that FIFA's sanction was appropriate, but he remains sidelined.