Thursday Feb 01, 2018. 19:00
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says they will keep pushing to sign Algeria and Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez.
The Spanish boss said they will make another bid in summer after their failure to land their target last month.
The Citizens failed to sign Mahrez during the January transfer deadline day after the two clubs tried for several hours to agree a deal involving cash-plus-player without success.
According to Sky Sports News, a friend of Mahrez said the player is depressed about the move failing to materialise, with City's cash-plus-player offer - worth an estimated £65m - falling well below Leicester's valuation of around £95m for the deal.
"He's a Leicester player. Everybody knows we were trying but we cannot afford, in this moment, this amount of what they are asking. I understand perfectly,” Guardiola said to Sky Sports.
"We tried to do it in the summer time, we tried to do it now, but like summer, they locked the door and we can go to the summer and holidays.
"It was not possible. With (Aymeric) Laporte yes, with the other one no. We are going to see what happens in the summer."
On the other hand, the Desert Warriors’ efforts to leave the Foxes have angered some of his team-mates at the King Power Stadium, according to Sky sources.
The 26-year-old has made 27 appearances for the Foxes to date this season, scoring nine times in the English Premier League.