Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha
Friday Mar 09, 2018. 11:00
Ivory Coast international Wilfried Zaha will not be rushed back into action by his English Premier League club Crystal Palace.
This is according to Palace manager Roy Hodgson when speaking in a pre-match conference ahead of their league clash with Chelsea at the Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
Zaha sustained a knee injury during Palace’s 1-1 draw with Newcastle United early last month and it was said that the 25-year-old would be sidelined for about four weeks or more.
“It’s a remarkable recovery and we have to be very careful to make certain that we don't suddenly think because he is able to take part in two modified training sessions that he will be able to come back like the Wilf Zaha he was before the injury,” Hodgson said.
"It's very dangerous to ask football players 'what do you think' because they will give you the answer that suits them at the time and if they are the type of guys who want to play, they will say 'I am ok.'
“But sometimes you can do a lot of damage by accepting that answer if it doesn't tie in with what everyone else at the club thinks is right for them at this moment in time,” the English tactician added.
“I will be pleased to see him back as quickly as has happened so that is a major positive and it's all credit really to both him and the medical staff we have here because inititally people were talking about him being out until the end of the season rather than six weeks.”
Zaha, who is one of Palace’s key players, has made 20 league appearances this season - netting four times in the league process.