WORLD CUP FOCUS: Senegal coach Aliou Cisse says the door is still open for Demba Ba

WORLD CUP FOCUS: Senegal coach Aliou Cisse says the door is still open for Demba Ba
Senegal's striker Demba Ba

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Sunday Apr 15, 2018. 15:00

Senegal national team coach Aliou Cisse has not ruled out bringing striker Demba Ba back into his final plans for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

The 32-year-old striker has not played for the Teranga Lions since March 2015 and was overlooked for last month's friendly internationals against Uzbekistan and Bosnia.

He is currently enjoying a rich vein of form with his Turkish side Goztepe, having scored five goals in nine matches and the coach said the door is still open for the former Chelsea striker.

"I have said it before and I will repeat it again, the national team door is not closed on Demba Ba and others," Cisse told RTS in Senegal.

"We have a group already in place that has been together for three years, and overall I am satisfied with these players.

"But the performance of others outside this group offers some possible options and you cannot ignore them," Cisse added.

Although injuries have prevented Ba from being a regular for the Teranga Lions, he did not feature as they sealed qualification for a second appearance at the World Cup.

Despite his last appearance for the West Africans coming under Cisse against Ghana in a friendly on 28 March 2015, Ba would be under no illusions about the task facing him in his quest for a recall



COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment