Demba Ba not hurt after missing out on Senegal’s World Cup squad

Demba Ba not hurt after missing out on Senegal’s World Cup squad
Senegal striker Demba Ba being challenged by Afriyie Acquah of Ghana

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Wednesday May 23, 2018. 12:00

Senegalese international striker Demba Ba says he is not disappointed after missing out on the 2018 FIFA World Cup squad.

Ba was not included in the Lions of Teranga's 23-man squad announced by coach Aliou Cisse this week, but the forward says he does not have the right to whine.

The 32-year-old has not played for his country since March 2015, but his recent performances with Turkish side Goztepe led to Cisse refusing to rule out a recall last month.

"I'm not too disappointed at all," he told Senegalese publication Record.

"I have no control over the coach's decision, I will only hurt myself by pulling my hair out or by feeling sorry for myself.

"The only power I have, in reality, is to keep producing good performances. I do not have to whine about missing the chance to play in a World Cup.

"I have no regrets as my progress in football has taken the proper route because hard work has taken me to where I am today."

After netting seven goals in 13 appearances since joining the Turkish side in January, local fans expected Cisse to give Ba a chance, but he was overlooked by the former skipper.

The former Newcastle United and Chelsea star also took a philosophical look at his career after he suffered a potentially career-ending broken leg while playing in the Chinese Super League two years ago.

"After 18 months out with injury. In July 2016, people were wondering if my career was over? Today, they are sad because Demba is not on the list of 23 Lions,” he added.

“You cannot imagine the path I've taken to get to this stage of my career. I can only feel a sense of pride and contentment.”



COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment