Egypt, coach Hector Cuper go separate ways after World Cup

Egypt, coach Hector Cuper go separate ways after World Cup
Egypt's head coach Hector Cuper speaks during a press conference

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Wednesday Jun 27, 2018. 10:00

The Egyptian Football Association has parted ways with coach Hector Cuper after their dismal showing at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Cuper was set to sit down and engage the EFA regarding his new contract, but both parties have agreed to go their separate ways.

The Pharaohs ended their Group A stage assignments with a 2-1 loss to Saudi Arabia on Monday after appearing at their first World Cup finals in 28 years.

According to reports in the North African country, the 62-year-old would have been out of contract after the World Cup, but had been in negotiation with the EFA before the tournament started.

Speaking after the Saudia Arabia loss, the Argentine manager said he would see what will happen ahead of a meeting with the EFA.

However, the country’s FA announced they had a meeting en route to Egypt from Russia and they decided to release the manager.

"We held a meeting after returning from Russia and the entire board Hector Cuper has left his role as Egypt manager after they were knocked out of the World Cup at the group stage,” said the EFA.

"We held a meeting after returning from Russia and the entire board decided to say thank you to Cuper and his technical staff.

"We appreciate the work from the coach, from reaching the Africa Cup of Nations after three years of absence and taking Egypt to the World Cup after 28 years of absence."

The former Valencia and Inter Milan boss was appointed in March 2015 and led Egypt to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations in 2017 where they lost to Cameroon.




COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment