SuperSport United humble AmaZulu

SuperSport United humble AmaZulu
Mabhuti Khenyeza of AmaZulu during the Absa Premiership 2018/19 match between Supersport United and AmaZulu at the Lucas Moripe Stadium, Atteridgeville on 08 August 2018 ©Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Wednesday Aug 08, 2018. 21:45

SuperSport United edged out AmaZulu 1-0 in an Absa Premiership match at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Wednesday night.

As a result, Matsatsantsa climbed up to ninth place on the league standings, while Usuthu moved down to eighth place.

The hosts threatened first through Aubrey Modiba seven minutes into the game after they were awarded a free-kick a promising area.

The South Africa international stepped up and he unleashed a shot which went straight at the AmaZulu wall.

Matsatsantsa did most the attacking as they looked to break the deadlock with James Keene leading their attack.

Fagrie Lakay tried to set-up James in the 18th minute after beating his marker, but AmaZulu goalkeeper Moeneeb Josephs gathered the cross.

SuperSport kept pushing for the opening goal and they had a chance to take the lead five minutes before the half-hour mark.

Evans Rusike found Teboho Mokoena, whose effort was bravely blocked by the Usuthu defence.

Matsatsantsa piled pressure on the Usuthu defence with the half-time break fast approaching.

Josephs had to produce an incredible double save to deny SuperSport attackers Modiba and Keene in the 34th minute.

The visitors then stood firm at the back until the match referee blew the half-time whistle.

SuperSport and AmaZulu were locked at 0-0 at the interval following a first-half which was dominated by the hosts.

It took only three minutes for the home side to break the deadlock in the second half after the AmaZulu defence was exposed.

Keene played a cross which was turned home by Evans Rusike to make it 1-0 to SuperSport much to the delight of the home crowd.

Cavin Johnson, the AmaZulu coach, then pulled out Michael Morton and he introduced Mabhuti Khenyeza just before the hour-mark.

The veteran striker tried to make an immediate impact, but his attempt was well-saved by SuperSport shot-stopper Ronwen Williams.

The home side still looked dangerous when going forward and Modiba and Keene both narrowly missed the target after the hour-mark.

Zambian marksman Ghampani Lungu was then introduced by SuperSport in the 73rd minute as hosts looked to double their lead.

Both teams then launched late attacks in search of a late goal, but it never came and the match ended in a 1-0 win in favour of SuperSport.

SuperSport (0) 1 (Rusike 48')
AmaZulu (0) 0

SuperSport: Williams, Kekana, Khumalo, Daniels, Bhasera, Furman, Mokoena, Modiba , Lakay (Lungu 73') Rusike (Gould 88'), Keene (Grobler 83').

AmaZulu: Sikhakhane, Van Heerden, Slawula, M Gumede, Morton (Khenyeza 57'), Vilakazi, Lumkwana (Hlalele 64'), Sithebe, Ramphela, Cele (Nomvethe 80').

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment
Important information regarding cookies
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.