Only ‘Indecent proposal’ will tempt Napoli to sell Koulibaly

Only ‘Indecent proposal’ will tempt Napoli to sell Koulibaly
Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly (left) and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah battle for the ball

by Graeme Jackson

Sunday Jan 20, 2019. 09:00

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says he will only consider mega-money offers for star defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

The Senegal centre-back is being strongly linked with a move away from Stadio San Paolo, having established himself as one of the best defenders in Europe.

Manchester United are reported to have submitted a massive bid for the player’s services last month in the dying stages of Jose Mourinho’s tenure. It was hoped the offer would tempt Napoli to release the player in this January window and help solve the defensive problems which have plagued the Red Devils through the season.

United apparently remain interested in the Teranga Lions player, though they will face stiff competition to sign him in the European summer.

Real Madrid are now keen on making the player a ‘Galacticos’ signing, while Chelsea have long been linked with the 27-year-old and could have an edge given that manager Maurizio Sarri mentored him while at Napoli.

Whichever club is able to convince Koulibaly to join them, one thing is for sure: he will cost a huge amount of money.

“I do recall that we turned down a proposal worth €105m, but do not ask me who it was from," Napoli president De Laurentiis told Corriere dello Sport.

"We will reflect on these issues only in case there is an offer that is well beyond the market price, call it even an indecent proposal, but also only if the players want us to accept these proposals."

It has been suggested that only an offer in the region of €150m will convince the Neapolitans to sell.



COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment