Friday's Nedbank Cup Wrap

Friday's Nedbank Cup Wrap
Kermit Erasmus of Cape Town City is tackled by Spiwe Msimango of Highlands Park during the 2019 Nedbank Cup last 16

by Staff Reporter

Friday Feb 15, 2019. 22:29

Cape Umoya United and Cape Town City advanced to the Nedbank Cup quarter-finals after securing victories on Friday.

Cape Umoya United hosted fellow National First Division (NFD) side Mbombela United in the Last 16 match at the Athlone Stadium in Cape Town.

Toriq Losper, who recently joined Umoya after parting ways with Premier Soccer League (PSL) club Baroka FC, was keen to impress on debut.

However, Mbombela managed to contain Umoya playmaker and the two teams were locked at 0-0 at the interval.

Tingwenyama grew in confidence as the second-half continued and Umoya keeper Dino Visser became very busy.

The former Polokwane City shot-stopper produced three great saves to deny Thabo Mphahleni, Felix Badenhorst and Cohen Stander.

The saves ensured that the game ended in a 0-0 draw in regulation time and extra-time followed.

Ultimately, a penalty shootout followed following a goalless extra-time.

Umoya went on to win 4-2 on penalties with Brandon Theron scoring the winning penalty and the Spirited Ones advanced to the quarter-finals.

At the Cape Town Stadium, Highlands Park took on Cape Town City in the Last 16 match in the Mother City.

The Citizens suffered a blow a few minutes into the match as Ronald Putsche went down injured and he was replaced by Teko Modise.

Modise and Thabo Nodada dominated the midfield battle as the home side searched for the opening goal, but the hosts could not break the deadlock and the score was 0-0 at half-time.

The Citizens continued their dominance after the restart and they scored through Thamsanqa Mkhize to make it 1-0 to City after some good work by Kermit Erasmus in the 60th minute.

The momentum was with the hosts and they managed to double their lead in the 70th minute when Craig Martin scored with a powerful shot to make it 2-0 to City.

It was soon 3-0 to City when Heugh failed to control Highlands defender Lucky Mokoena's back pass with the latter scoring an own goal with 18 minutes left on the clock.

The Lions of the North launched late attacks as they looked to grab at least three late goals and Suhayl Allie's free-kick was easily saved by City keeper Peter Leeuwenburgh.

Ultimately, City ran out 3-0 winners over Highlands following a great second-half performance by the hosts.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment
Important information regarding cookies
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.