Liverpool's Naby Keita attends a training session
Wednesday Jun 12, 2019. 09:15
Liverpool and Guinea star Naby Keita has admitted that he is not 100 percent fit, despite being set to play a major role for his country at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
The 24-year-old looked set to miss the AFCON when he sustained a serious adductor injury in the first leg of Liverpool’s UEFA Champions League semifinal against Barcelona in early May.
However, his recovery seems to be progressing ahead of schedule and he was named in Guinea’s preliminary squad.
In addition, National Elephants coach Paul Put said earlier this week that Keita, who joined up with the team’s camp on Monday night, is set to play in their upcoming AFCON warm-up game against hosts Egypt.
Keita, speaking to Guineefoot.info, said he was delighted to link up with the squad, but admitted that he is not yet at 100 percent.
“I am very happy to meet my teammates,” Keita said. ““I am hoping to start work now even though I am not 100 percent fit, but when I was in Liverpool - I had already started training with the ball.
“Upon my arrival here, I am going to train with the team to see what’s next.
“I like to assure the fans, my teammates and the coach that I should be ready for Guinea’s first match. I am 100 percent motivated."
Guinea will open their Group B campaign at the AFCON with a clash against Madagascar in Alexandria on June 22.