Thursday Aug 08, 2019. 17:00
Democratic Republic of Congo coach Florent Ibenge finally confirmed what had been on the cards for a month already when he submitted his resignation and added his name to the list of post-Africa Cup of Nations casualties.
Ibenge said he had been waiting to speak personally with the Congolese Football Federation president Constant Omari before confirming his decision but had been hinting at an exit at the tournament in Egypt already.
“When I began the job it was never my intention to stay for too long,” he told reporters afterwards, but ended up completing five years in the job.
Ibenge was in charge at three successive Cup of Nations finals, taking third place in 2015, reaching the quarter-finals in 2017, but his position looked tenuous after they were eliminated in the last-16 in Egypt last month by rookies Madagascar, going out in a shock post-match penalties defeat.
He will continue to coach Kinshasa giants AS Vita Club, who he takes charge of in the first round of the African Champions League this weekend. Ibenge had long combined the two positions.
Ibenge is now the ninth coach to leave his job following the tournament in Egypt last month. He follows Clarence Seedorf (Cameroon), Javier Aguirre (Egypt), Paul Put (Guinea), Herve Renard (Morocco), Ricardo Mannetti (Namibia), Stuart Baxter (South Africa), Emanuel Amunike (Tanzania), Sebastien Desabre (Uganda) and Sunday Chidzambwa of Zimbabwe in either quitting, coming to the end of their contracts or being fired.