SuperSport let lead slip against Sundowns

SuperSport let lead slip against Sundowns
Thamsanqa Gabuza of Supersport United challenged by Wayne Arendse of Mamelodi Sundowns during the MTN8 2019 match between Supersport United and Mamelodi Sundowns at Lucas Moripe Stadiuml, Pretoria, on 01 September 2019 ©Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Sunday Sep 01, 2019. 17:19

SuperSpport United were held to a 1-1 draw by Mamelodi Sundowns in the 2019 MTN8 semi-final first-leg match at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The second-leg clash will be played at the same venue on Wednesday, September 18.

The Brazilians got off to bright start and they should have scored seven minutes into the game with the Matsatsantsa defence exposed.

Lebohang Maboe, Gaston Sirino and Sibusiso Vilakazi all had chances to score within a short period time, but the ball was eventually cleared off the goal-line.

The hosts did not sit back as they pushed forward in numbers and Bradley Grobler narrowly missed the target, before Sundowns defender Anele Ngcongca made a brilliant goal-line clearance.

The deadlock was finally broken four minutes before half-time when Onismor Bhasera’s cross was headed home by Thamsanqa Gabuza to make it 1-0 to SuperSport.

However, the Matsatsantsa defence went to sleep and they were punished by Uruguayan attacking midfielder Gaston Sirino.

The diminutive attacker beat SuperSport goalkeeper Ronwen Williams with a well-taken shot to make it 1-1 for Sundowns heading into the half-time break.

SuperSport started the second very well and they could have been 2-1 up when Wayne Arendse deflected the ball towards the Sundowns goal-posts.

However, experienced keeper Denis Onyango made a sensational save in order to keep the visitors in the game.

Sundowns then mounted pressure on the hosts as Williams had to produce a great save from Tebogo Langerman’s left-footed shot just before the hour-mark.

The Bafana Bafana keeper was also called into action in the 76th minute and he made another good save, and this time he was denying Zwane, who tried to score with a snapshot.

SuperSport regained control of the match towards the end of the match, but Sundowns stood firm at the back and ultimately, the game ended in a 1-1 stalemate.

SuperSport (1) 1 (Gabuza 41′)

Sundowns (1) 1 (Sirino 42′)

SuperSport: Williams, Nhlapo, Daniels, Khumalo, Bhasera (Modiba 86′), Furman, Mokoena (Webber 72′), Mbule, Rusike (Qalinge 82′), Gabuza, Grobler.

Sundowns: Onyango, Ngconca, Arendse, Lebusa, Langerman, Seabi, Kekana, Zwane (Lakay 90’+1), Sirino (Mabunda 88′), Vilakazi (Mkhulise 80′), Maboe.

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment