Napoli boss open to letting Koulibaly go

Napoli boss open to letting Koulibaly go
Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly (L) and Sampdoria's Albin Ekdal in action

by Staff Reporter

Friday Oct 18, 2019. 18:00

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted that the day will come that he will sell star defender Kalidou Koulibaly.


The Senegal international was hotly tipped with a move to Manchester United in the European summer, but Napoli remained resolute, having handed Koulibaly a contract until 2023.


Koulibaly has established himself as one of the best centre-backs in world football since joining the Serie A club from Genk five years ago, and despite not wanting to let the 28-year-old leave earlier this year, De Laurentiis is conscious of the fact that that he will have to sell him in the near future.


“I loved Koulibaly the man so I refused €105 million, but a time will come when I’ll have to sell him,” De Laurentiis told Sky Sports Italia. “Whoever says we didn’t improve our defence is wrong.”


Asked about the on going transfer speculation, Koulibaly admitted that he has grown use to the fact that other clubs want his services.


“I’m used to it,” Koulibaly added. “So many [stories] come out each day, which say I’m leaving. Right now, my only objective is to win with Napoli. I don’t care about the rest.


“Our objective remains to beat the best teams in Italy and win the Scudetto. This season is more difficult because all the teams have got stronger and Serie A has become more competitive.


“We must think positively and be aware that we can do well. My objective is to help the club and team win a trophy now,” he concluded.


Koulibaly has 10 goals in 219 appearances for Napoli.






COMMENTS
Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment