Bloem Celtic beat TS Sporting to reach semis

Bloem Celtic beat TS Sporting to reach semis
Ndumiso Mabena of Bloemfontein Celtic celebrates his penalty with teammates during the 2020 Nedbank Cup Quarter Finals match between TS Sporting and Bloemfontein Celtic on the 15 March 2020 at Ka Nyamazane, Ka Nyamazane Stadium Pic Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix

by Staff Reporter

Sunday Mar 15, 2020. 21:30

Bloemfontein Celtic defeated TS Sporting 3-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw in the Nedbank Cup quarter-final match at the Kanyamazane Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

As a result, Phunya Sele Sele reached the semi-finals, while Abantu Bemthetho crashed out of the tournament.

Abantu Bemthetho did most of the attacking in the opening exchanges with Mbulelo Wagaba making good runs into the box from midfield.

The Sporting midfielder had an opportunity to break the deadlock in the 23rd minute, but he placed his effort over the crossbar from inside the box.

Phunya Sele Sele grew in confidence as the match progressed and they started pressing the hosts and created goalscoring opportunities.

Victor Letsoalo found some space outside the Sporting box in the 42nd minute and he fired wide of the target with his left foot.

Celtic were then awarded a free-kick in a promising area after Lesotho international Motebang Sera fouled on the stroke of half-time.

However, Letsoalo was denied by Sporting goalkeeper Mlungisi Maranti from the resultant free-kick and the score was 0-0 at the interval.

The hosts launched attacks after the restart, but it was Phunya Sele Sele, who opened the scoring against the run of play.

Sera made a run down the left-hand side before setting up Letsoalo, who netted with a tap in to make it 1-0 to Celtic in the 55th minute.

Sporting should have responded with a goal on the hour-mark when Dennis Chauke found himself in a one-on-one situation with Celtic keeper Sipho Chauke.

However, the 23-year-old striker placed his low effort wide of the target having dribbled past four Phunya Sele Sele defenders.

Abantu Bemthetho launched late attacks and they deservedly grabbed an equalizing goal through Francisco Muchanga to make it 1-1 with 11 minutes left.

The goal ensured that the game ended in a 1-1 draw in regulation time and extra-time followed.

Sporting were awarded a penalty after Katlego Mojela was fouled in the box by Chaine after the Celtic defence was exposed in the first-half of extra-time.

Chaine did make some amends as the 23-year-old shot-stopper produced a great save to deny Chauke from the spot-kick.

Former Baroka FC keeper Oscarine Masuluke was introduced by the hosts in the closing stages of extra-time and ultimately, the game ended in a 1-1 draw and a penalty shootout followed.

However, it was Chaine, who proved to be the hero was he made three saves to ensure that Celtic emerged 3-2 winners on penalties over Sporting on the day.

Sporting (0) 1 (Muchanga 79′)

Celtic (0) 1 (Letsoalo 55′)

Sporting: Maranti (Masuluke 120’+1), Chawa, Kobedi, Chingi, Moyo, Versuur, Muchanga, Mbatha (Sithole 90′), Nkabinde, Wagaba (Mojela 65′), Chauke.

Celtic: Chaine, Letsoalo, Khasipe, Luthuli, Chabalala, Baloyi, Tani, Mashikinya (Maema 90’+ 3), Ngobeni, Sera (Mabena 88′), Tchilimbou (Fikizolo 71′).

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment
Important information regarding cookies
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.