Monday Mar 23, 2020. 11:00
African Football takes a look at the continent’s top football birthdays for the week ahead, 23-29 March 2020.
Tuesday 24 March
– Ruud Krol – The Dutchman is a boda-fide legend as a player, but also a great coach who has worked extensively on the African continent with teams such as Zamalek, Orlando Pirates, CS Sfaxien and Esperance de Tunis.
– Aliou Cisse – Senegal’s captain on their World Cup debut in 2002 and current coach of the Teranga Lions, who finished as runners-up at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Wednesday 25 March
– Victor Obinna – Former Nigerian national team striker who has played for the likes of Internazionale, West Ham United, Lokomotiv Moscow and Cape Town City.
Thursday 26 March
– Pierre Wome – A journeyman left-sided player who won Olympic gold with Cameroon in 2000 but also famously missed a penalty which cost the Indomitable Lions qualification for the 2006 World Cup.
– Patrick Ekeng (d. 2016) – The late Patrick Ekeng would have celebrated his 30th birthday today. Sadly he passed away in May 2016, having suffered a heart attack in a league match for Romanian side Dinamo Bucharest.
Friday 27 March
– Nicolas Nkoulou – An Africa Cup of Nations winner in 2017 with Cameroon, defender Nicolas Nkoulou is currently on the books of Italian side Torino.
Saturday 28 March
– Christopher Samba – Former Congolese international Christopher Samba is best remembered for his time at Blackburn Rovers, but he also represented the likes of Hertha Berlin, Queens Park Rangers and Dynamo Moscow.
– Yohan Benalouane – Currently on the books of Nottingham Forest, Yohan Benalouane was born in France but has represented Tunisia at international level.