Celtic into Nedbank Cup final

Celtic into Nedbank Cup final
Victor Letsoalo of Bloemfontein Celtic (c) celebrates goal during the Nedbank Cup 2019/20 football match between Baroka FC and Bloemfontein Celtic at Orlando Stadium, Soweto on 08 August 2020 ©Gavin Barker/BackpagePix

by Graeme Jackson

Saturday Aug 08, 2020. 16:00

Bloemfontein Celtic on Saturday booked their place in the final of South Africa’s Nedbank Cup, defeating Baroka FC 3-0 at the Orlando Stadium.

The semifinal clash marked the first professional match in the country since the coronavirus lockdown back in March – a full 146 days since a ball had last been kicked in anger.

Celtic will appear in the National Cup final for the first time since winning the Mainstay Cup way back in 1985, and they will face either Mamelodi Sundowns or Bidvest Wits on 8 September.

Celtic made the early running, looking dangerous down the right flank through Tebogo Potsane and Mpusana Tani. The first clear chance saw Ndumiso Mabena stab a shot wide of the near post within the opening 10 minutes.

The Bloemfontein side also suffered the first injury casualty, with right-back Tani pulling up with a hamstring issue within the opening quarter. He was replaced by the attacker Andile Fikizolo on 22 minutes.

Just past the half-hour mark, Baroka were reduced to 10 men when Ananias Gebhardt was deservedly shown a straight red card for a clumsy, studs-up lunge to the ankle of Lucky Baloyi, leaving the ‘hosts’ with a numerical disadvantage.

Despite this, Bakgaga made a great chance late in the first half, as a 41st minute attack ended with Celtic goalkeeper Sipho Chaine making a fine save to deny Nhlanhla Mgaga.

The match looked set to be goalless at the interval, but on the cusp of half time Celtic broke the deadlock.

Potsane did well to draw goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze off his line and feed Fikizolo, who in turn teed up Mabena – the striker hit a low, left-footed effort through a crowd of players to find the back of the net and see Phunya Sele Sele 1-0 up at the break.

Baroka made a double change at the start of the second stanza – introducing Matome Kgoetyane and Sbonelo Ngubane off the bench – and put together some decent attacking moves despite being a man down, including a stinging drive to warm the palms of Chaine just past the hour mark.

Celtic ended the game as a contest seven minutes from the end of regulation time, with substitute Victor Letsoalo tucking home a penalty to make it 2-0. The spot kick was cleverly earned by Mabena, who drew a foul off Chipezeze after the goalkeeper had parried away a goal-bound shot.

Letsoalo added his second deep in injury time to put a cherry on top for Phunya Sele Sele, tucking home from close range after Chipezeze did well to keep out an initial effort from Neo Maema.

Baroka FC 0

Bloemfontein Celtic (1) 3 (Mabena 45+5’, Letsoalo 83’ pen, 90+4′)

Baroka: Chipezeze, Shozi, Farmer, Sampson, Kambala (Kgoetyane 46’ [Mbulu 74’]), Gebhardt, Makgopa, Mosele, Mgaga (Nguse 81’), Patjie, Phiri (Ngubane 46’)

Celtic: Chaine, Tani (Fikizolo 22’), Letlabika, Chabalala, Mahashe, Ngobeni, Baloyi, Phalane, Masuku (Maema 58’), Potsane (Letsoalo 58’), Mabena

Sign in with:  
Sign in to comment
Important information regarding cookies
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.