Tuesday Nov 17, 2020. 09:00
Senegal captain Kalidou Koulibaly has failed to rule out leaving his current club SSC Napoli for a new challenge anytime soon.
The centre-back, who is contracted at the Italian club until 2023, has constantly been linked with English champions Liverpool FC in recent weeks.
The Reds will reportedly make a move for Koulibaly in the upcoming January transfer window after losing central defenders Joe Gomez and Virgil Van Dijk to long-term injuries.
“I love Naples and Naples loves me, that’s the most important thing,” Koulibaly said on Liverpool Echo.
“I always make myself available game after game, I still have three years of contract, I’m calm, the teams are looking for me but I’m still here.
“I play at my level and I help this team and these people because I want to give something back to them then we’ll see what happens.”
Often regarded as one of the best defenders in the world, Koulibaly earned a place in The Guardian’s 100 Best Male Footballers in 2019, where he was listed as the third-best centre back in the world.
“I had a more difficult season even if I didn’t do badly but we know the level I have and we knew I could give more,” he continued.
“This year the coach told me that it mattered a lot about me because I have to help the team and I had to get back to my level.
The 29-year-old discussed his working relationship with Napoli manager Gennaro Gattuso, who has been in charge of the team since last year.
“He simply told me the truth and told me to my face and I went to work and available to everyone and today we see the result,” he added.
“But we must be aware that the season is still long and there are many games where we need to maintain this level.”
Koulibaly recently led Senegal to two back-to-back wins over Guinea-Bissau in the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.