Thursday Dec 03, 2020. 13:00
Algeria international Nabil Bentaleb says he is disappointed following his suspension from Schalke 04’s first-team without any reason from the club.
Schalke, who are winless in the German Bundesliga since January 2020, announced that they have abruptly cancelled the contract of veteran striker Vedad Ibisevic last month.
While Bentaleb and Moroccan midfielder Amine Harit were suspended ‘until further notice’ by the Royal Blues.
Bentaleb has now opened up about his situation at Schalke and he stated that he appreciates the support he has received from Algeria head coach Djamel Belmadi.
“A lot of things have been said or written during these last few hours regarding my situation at Schalke 04,” Bentaleb wrote on his official Instagram account.
“In spite of a particular sports environment and disappointing results during this season, I would like to remind everyone that I stayed professional in all circumstances.”
“I learned with great surprise and disappointment my exclusion from the professional group without any credible justification whatsoever.”
“Furthermore, I endured some mean criticisms, borderline racists, from a particular press and some wannabee consultants more interested by virtual glory than real journalism.”
“Fortunately, those persons represent only themselves. I would like to thank the Algerian head coach, Djamel Belmadi, the Algerian Federation of Football, and some players and supporters for their kind words and support through all of this.”
“Because we are always stronger when united, there will be no room for racism nor any type of discrimination.”
Bentaleb, 26, has been on the books of Schalke since 2016 and in March 2019 he was demoted to Schalke’s under-23 team, ‘due to disciplinary reasons.’
The lanky midfielder returned to the first-team in April 2019, before being dropped to the second team again later that month.
He has netted five goals in 35 international matches for Algeria.