Wednesday Mar 17, 2021. 11:00
Former Ghana star Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu says Black Stars players did not help Sulley Ali Muntari during the 2014 FIFA World Cup fiasco.
Muntari was dismissed from the Ghana camp along with Kevin-Prince Boateng during the global competition due to indiscipline.
They were suspended a few hours before Ghana’s final group match against Portugal which the Black Stars lost 2-1.
Former AC Milan and Inter Milan star Muntari reportedly assaulted Moses Armah, a member of former manager James Kwesi Appiah’s coaching staff.
Having retired from international football last year, Badu stated that Muntari stood up for his teammates, who never backed him up in public when speaking on Citi Sports Online.
“I think as players we did not help Sulley Muntari in some situations,” Badu, 30, who is a free agent after leaving Italian Serie A side Hellas Verona in January 2021, said.
“I am also guilty. I cannot exclude myself. Most of the time he stood up for the team. However, we never mentioned it when we were out of camp.
“He would receive all the bashing because everyone is looking out for himself. I need to be real because there are times when it really hurts me.”
Muntari, 36, who is currently a free agent, has played 84 international matches for Ghana and netted 20 goals and the last time he turned out for his nation was in 2014.
He has been linked with South African clubs Maritzburg United and Kaizer Chiefs.
Sign in to comment