Thursday Apr 14, 2022. 12:16
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick has revealed he will not be running for re-election this year after two terms in office.
The NFF has come under intense scrutiny following the Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2022 World Cup after losing to Ghana in a two-legged playoff last month.
Pinnick described the losses the country will bear as “monumental” and “unquantifiable”, but insisted he will take responsibility for the disaster.
“At this moment, my family is completely against it [running for a third term],” the 51-year-old told ESPN.
“I have done my best and posterity will judge whether it was good enough or not. Ordinarily, I would have loved to, but I listen to my heart and I listen to my family.
“So at the moment, it is a no, because my family said so. This is a tough call, but someone else needs to try at this time.”
Nigeria will lose out on at least $12 million for not reaching the showpiece event in Qatar, $2m of which is a preparation grant from FIFA and the other $10m a base participation fee.
Pinnick added: “I can tell you the loss is monumental. It is unquantifiable. We have been working with our partners to make great plans for the World Cup. For instance, if you had seen what Nike was bringing out for the World Cup, they would have sold a minimum of 10 million shirts,” Pinnick said.
“The players too would have received $3.5 million from the FIFA money. But since this dream of going to the World Cup was shattered, it has been so tough for us in the federation, especially me. You cannot imagine what we have been going through.
“We did not leave any stone unturned as a federation. After our exit from the Africa Cup of Nations Cup (AFCON), we met immediately to start strategising. We went to London to hold meetings with the players and they were very enthusiastic and excited.
“They raised issues that they wanted us to take care of, from jerseys to playing pitch, to hotel to the aircraft that they would fly to Ghana with and we addressed every issue they raised.
“We did everything we needed to do. We are bewildered. It was a monumental loss, not just to the federation, but to the Nigerian people.
“Nigerians should forgive us and I will take responsibility as the head of the federation and apologise. We did everything humanly and materially possible to make sure that they qualify.”
Sign in to comment